Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Baz
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    Building a new car up here in Scotland. Having read through the regs umpteen times I’m in a quandry with the level of prep we’re allowed on the interior. The regs are very prescriptive in what you are allowed to do, and of course anything else is not allowed. So the question is can you remove the seam sealer or must it be left in place as is?

Thanks
    Baz

simon.pugh6
    Participant

Seam sealer stays Baz.

Baz
    Participant

Thanks Simon – that makes life easier

james.taylor
    Participant

I think this is a personal preference item, certainly nothing in the regs that stipulates one way or the other and there were cars racing last year with and without seam sealer. I’ve just spent 4 hours getting rid of the stuff and I’m still not finished. Beware the job if you do start it!

PreptechUK
    Participant

Seam sealer is meant to stay, doesn’t say it can be removed.

Baz
    Participant

I’m acutely aware of the job it is James, having done five other cars it’s not something I ever look forward to. It does give a much nicer finish though.

The regs are very prescriptive to the point of describing what holes you are allowed to drill in the body and their size, so not looking to fall foul on something that is pretty irreversible and so time consuming. I guess if you look at the spirit of the championship it’s not really something you’d put in the scope of a budget build, given that some may be paying to have their car built.

james.taylor
    Participant

Interesting, I saw the change as a purely cosmetic one as I don’t believe the removal would be in anyway relevant to the performance of the car, I’ve done it purely to look a bit nicer when painted. While I’ll didn’t see a specific reg I thought applied in section 10, I appreciate the catch all statement in section 8 could apply – more caution needed!

I guess I wait to see if there is a clarification offered from the club, and hope it’s not a bad one for myself or the other existing cars without sealer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.