Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    symoncockill
    Participant

What do most people use as replacement steering wheel and boss ,as we need the horn to work also a quick release boss would be option if any one has any contact details of any company’s who supply these items

Andy Napier
    Participant

I’m going to be test fitting a new boss over the weekend for a reputable company which has horn and resistor for the wheel airbag (not that you need that necessarily).

Will report back on findings.  If it looks the ticket then the company will start stocking and supplying them.

symoncockill
    Participant

Did it fit and if so who can we purchase them from and at what price also do you have any pics of wheel and boss

Andy Napier
    Participant

This is the boss in question.  It has the necessary routings for horn / airbag wiring should you wish to retain them.

Total direct easy fit.  The one thing I found was that the white plastic connector for the horn wiring needed trimming down to not foul the casing.

Available from Competition Supplies at Silverstone.  Ask for Sean.  01327 857991.  http://www.competitionsupplies.com/

Price I couldn’t tell you.  Not horrendous though.

IMG_20171016_222153559

Andy Napier
    Participant

nb:  I’ve just spoken to Sean @ Competition Supplies.  He say’s they will have 5 in stock in about 2 weeks.

symoncockill
    Participant

Does this move the wheel away or closer to the driver with a standard dish wheel

Andy Napier
    Participant

No idea.

Order66
    Participant

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but can anyone confirm the torque for the steering wheel nut is 50Nm? The reason I ask is I changed the steering wheel and used the competition supplies boss as above, but afterwards the steering feels heavier and perhaps is reluctant to self center. It may be imagination, or just difference in feel due to the wheel size/position change but just want to make sure its not over-tight.

The only thing I’d say is the boss wasn’t easy to fit – the plug recepticle doesn’t really fit in the space provided on the back of the boss, so wondering if it is possibly pressed down and introducing a bit of friction – anyone any similar experience?

Spiers
    Participant

We have just bought the steering wheel boss from competition supplies but it wont fit over the plug. Anyone had the same problem? How did you fix it?

Jonathan Shepherd
    Participant

To get the boss to rotate with the clockspring smoothly I had to remove the white plug from the horn wire and solder the wire directly to the pin on the clockspring. Also needed a little judicious trimming of the clockspring with a Dremel where it engages with the rear of the boss. Finally I used the airbag resistor on the plug that connects to the clockspring rather than the wires that used to connect to the airbag in the steering wheel.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.